Degrees and Certifications:
The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) have officially been adopted by the New Jersey State Department of Education! Please read the parent Q&A article for more information on how this will affect our science classrooms, and the ways in which your child will be learning science!
6th grade science is an exciting time for students. It is their first time in a class dedicated to the study of science. This year we will focus on becoming better scientists! Qualities of scientists include: active learning, curiosity of the ever-changing world, and answering the question of “why?”
Areas of study include: inquiry, measurement, the structure and properties of matter, forces and motion, earth & space systems, and matter and energy in an ecosystem.
To be successful in the study of SCIENCE, students need to develop several practices. Throughout our 6th grade studies, we will be developing our ability to ask questions, analyze and interpret data, design solutions, engage in argument, provide evidence for our claims, as well as, obtain, evaluate, and communicate information.
- Follow directions the first time they are given.
- Keep my hands, feet, and objects to myself.
- Listen quietly when others are speaking.
- Be on time to class and prepared to learn.
- Treat each person in this room with respect and dignity.
- Follow all procedures and policies as outlined in the Student Handbook.